Re: Recursive use of make

From: gk
Subject: Re: Recursive use of make
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 20:41:47 -0700

What you can do, if it is useful to you, is to have the top level makefile include all sub-makefiles and, as each one loads, it can append text to a variable defined in the top level makefile. You would need to design the makefiles so that there is no undesirable name collision since all would have access to all variables from all makefiles.

I use a system like this, in which makefiles are clearly organized, differentiating files which define variables from makefiles which define rules so that the rules makefiles are loaded in the proper order. You need to be very familiar with how make reads makefiles for this to work.
- Greg