RE: need help with the Makefile

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: RE: need help with the Makefile
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 14:52:54 -0400

%% Regarding RE: need help with the Makefile; you wrote:

  rm> Is it possible to echo anything else within ifeq / endif block ?

  rm> ifeq ($(strip $(KVER)),)
  rm> $(error Please set KVER before running Make)
  rm> endif

You can use the $(shell ...) function to echo some information:

  $(shell echo Please set KVER before running Make 1>&2)

just prints:

  Please set KVER before running Make

BUT!  This won't cause make to fail.  You can't stop make processing
without using $(error ...), which will always print the line number.