Re: problem with two makefiles

From: John Graham-Cumming
Subject: Re: problem with two makefiles
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:28:56 +0200

Vasu S wrote:
Can anyone tell me what is the problem with my code?

1. You write $MAKE, $INSTALL in the code, but GNU Make requires () around the name of the variable otherwise it's just going to use the first letter as the variable name (e.g. $MAKE is the value of $M followed by AKE). For those you need to write $(MAKE) and $(INSTALL)

2. You say "INSTALL command is getting executed even though the lib.a
> is upto date". What is TARGET? It is TARGET that determines whether that rule gets run. If TARGET does not exist, or if TARGET is older than $(DEST)/lib.a then it's going to call the recursive $(MAKE) on Makefile.bld.

3. Why can't you have the INSTALL command in Makefile?

4. I think the problem here is that you aren't being clear with the target names. e.g. what is the target name of the installer? I assume it's not LIB?

John.
--
John Graham-Cumming
address@hidden

Home: http://www.jgc.org/
POPFile: http://getpopfile.org/

Sign up for my Spam and Anti-spam Newsletter
at http://www.jgc.org/