RE: wait: No children. Stop.- Waiting for unfinished jobs - wait: No chi

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: RE: wait: No children. Stop.- Waiting for unfinished jobs - wait: No children. Stop
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 15:10:13 -0400

%% "Tobias Contreras" <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Tobias; please keep the conversation on the mailing list.  Thanks!

  tc> Its on xp pro hyper threaded

Ah.  Windows.

I don't even know if parallelism (-j) is supported on Windows.  I'm
almost 100% certain it wasn't supported in 3.79, even if it is in newer
versions.

  tc> Now its weird I have a HT comp but my task manager doesn't show that I
  tc> do have one... but that one it works fine, on another machine with the
  tc> task manager showing the HT it causes these problems

This doesn't matter to make.  All multi-CPU management is managed by the
operating system, far below anything make cares about.  Make isn't even
multithreaded: it just starts two (or more) sub-processes (compiles
etc.) at the same time and waits for them to finish.

You can run make with -j no matter how many CPUs you have (as long as
you have at least one! :-))

  tc> Now if I do upgrade will I really have to change any syntax or
  tc> anything?

There have been some minor changes in syntax to bring GNU make into
alignment with the POSIX definition of make.  You can read about them in
the NEWS file in the source distribution for 3.81.  All
backward-compatibility issues are clearly marked.

  tc> Thanks for the quick reply
  tc> I've been pulling my hair out trying to track down any dependencies or
  tc> even just trying to force the ordering

I'm a biased observer, but my opinion is that attempting to get GNU make
to properly do parallel builds on Windows is going to be difficult.  The
implementation of the jobserver in make relies heavily on POSIX features
like pipes and signals, and expects them to behave as they do on a POSIX
operating system.

It may well be that it can be done on Windows, but I don't maintain the
Windows port.  You should be contacting the address@hidden since this
is definitely a Windows-specific issue, not a general GNU make issue.