Re: Problem with parallel make

From: gmake
Subject: Re: Problem with parallel make
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 12:10:20 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006, Paul D. Smith wrote:

%% Lee Killough <address@hidden> writes:

 lk> I can find no documentation on the + option, other than the
 lk> documentation on the message, which says to use +.

If you look in the index you'll find pointers to both the section
"Instead of Executing the Commands" and "How the `MAKE' Variable Works",
each of which contains a description.

Ah, there's a brief mention there. I looked in the index for + and could
not find anything except:

* +, and define:                         Sequences.

But other command prefixes were listed:

* - (in commands):                       Errors.
* @ (in commands):                       Echoing.

I did not find any reference to + on the main pages on "recursion", or
parallel make, so after not seeing it in the index, I assumed there wasn't
any documentation on +.

As above, "+" _is_ explained pretty straightforwardly in the GNU make
manual.

Try looking here for more info on the jobserver:

 http://make.paulandlesley.org/jobserver.html

Thanks.

 lk> Perhaps a larger filehandle number, less likely to occur in common
 lk> shell redirection idioms, should be used for the jobserver.

Well, pipe(2) doesn't allow you to choose your own file descriptors: it
just uses the lowest available descriptors.  I could use dup2(2) to
force different ones after the pipe has been created, but there's no
portable way in POSIX (that I know of) to find the maximum valid file
descriptor.  I guess we could just use OPEN_MAX, if we can figure it
out.

Understood.

Thanks,
Lee