compiling from CVS

From: Torsten Mohr
Subject: compiling from CVS
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 10:33:33 +0200

Hi,

i downloaded the CVS version on 1. of september and tried to
configure and compile it (i guess there is no major difference
from that version available).

The first step, "autoreconf -i" failed on autopoint, so i
installed gettext-0.15.  It is installed in /usr/bin and
executing "gettext -V" tells me it is version 0.15.

Now i got the error that gettext-0.15 is not new enough and i
should update to 0.14.1 or newer.  Hmm, somthing seems to be wrong
here:
autoreconf -i:
autopoint: *** The AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION declaration in your
configure.in               file requires the infrastructure from
gettext-0.14.1 but this version is older. Please upgrade to
gettext-0.14.1 or newer.
autopoint: *** Stop.
autoreconf: autopoint failed with exit status: 1

So i commented the macro AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION in configure.in
away, is this step ok?  Did i misunderstand the message above?
To me it looks like all preconditions are ok, is that right?

Now i can do "autoreconf -i" and i can also execute the
"configure" that was generated, but i then get the message
that "Makefile.in" is missing.  No Makefile was generated.

I tried all these steps on Linux, based on the german
distribution SuSE 10.1.

Can anybody give me some hint on what is wrong here?

Thanks for hints,
Torsten.