Re: make dependency checking???

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: make dependency checking???
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 08:46:37 -0500

On Monday, 20 November, geraldin arthy (address@hidden) wrote:

>   I'm a beginner to the makedepend utility.
>   I read the man page of makedepend and as per the example given in the link
>   http://www.xfree86.org/current/makedepend.1.html

Note that makedepend is not a part of GNU make; if the problem ends up being
in that program you will need to contact the folks who maintain it (I think
it's typically distributed as a utility by the X folks).

However, we will try to help if you provide the information required.

First, when asking for help (with anything) please ALWAYS include the version
of the software (in this case GNU make) you're using, and what operating
system (and version) you're running it on.

>   I added the following lines to my makefile
>   depend:
>         makedepend -f- -- $(CFLAGS) -- $(SRCS)
>   And I found that when I gave a "make depend" the dependency list got
>   appended to my makefile.
>
>   After this I tried to change a header file and gave a "make" again.
>   But I found that none of the dependencies got rebuilt

That means that whatever was generated by makedepend, was not in the right
format or didn't reference the correct files.  Since you didn't show us a
complete-enough example that's about all we can say.

Please provide a (small!) example of an actual makefile that exhibits this
problem including the output of makedepend, then say which file you changed
and provide the command line you entered and the results you got.  That way we
have a complete example and we can see what you (or makedepend) are doing
wrong.

Cheers!