Re: Make dependency check

From: Philip Guenther
Subject: Re: Make dependency check
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 19:57:43 -0700

On 11/24/06, Paul D. Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
On Friday, 24 November, Geraldin Arthy (address@hidden) wrote:

> However I still get warnings as indicated below
> *makedepend: warning:  COvOverloadMsg.cxx (reading
> ../pdfcommon/src/CPdfEnumToString.h, line 21): cannot find include file
> "utility"
> makedepend: warning:  COvOverloadMsg.cxx (reading
> ../pdfcommon/src/CPdfEnumToString.h, line 20): cannot find include file
> "map"

> Do you have any idea why these warning messages are displayed and how to get
> rid of it??

Offhand I'd say that makedepend, being created for C programs, doesn't
understand the C++ header file syntax like #include <utility> (with no .h).

The problem isn't one of syntax (you can have headers without the .h
in C as well), but rather that makedepend doesn't know the proper
include path for C++.  All the C++ compilers I've ever seen have their
own directory of C++-only include files and pass the preprocessor (if
it's a separate program) the necessary options to look there as well.

So, you should check the documentation for your C++ compiler to see
what other paths it uses or otherwise how to have it show you the
paths that it uses.  Then, add -I options to your makedepend macro so
it looks there too.

Philip Guenther