[OT] RE: Testing whith nmake

From: Dave Korn
Subject: [OT] RE: Testing whith nmake
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:28:20 -0000

On 30 November 2006 14:48, Jephiuz Nibb wrote:

> hi,
> i have to test microsoft nmake on a makefile wrote originaly for gnumake.

  You'll get a much better answer if you ask on a mailing list or newsgroup
for microsoft nmake rather than here.  Nmake and gnu make are very different
in a lot of ways, and people here really know mostly about gnu make.

> doing so, nmake tells that a ')' is missing but the sintax is correct
> according to the fact that gnumake used to make without errors. what could
> be wrong? does the nmake don't recognize the sintax of a gnu makefile or
> something like that? the line is simply: SOMETHING = $(MACRO1) $(MACRO2)

  Gnu make and nmake syntax should be close enough for simple things like that
to work, so your underlying problem is probably located somewhere else.  The
following makefile worked absolutely fine for me with both gnu make and nmake:

----------------------------nmake in DOS shell----------------------------
C:\artimi.src\artimi>type makefile.nmake
MACRO1=foo
MACRO2=bar
SOMETHING = $(MACRO1) $(MACRO2)

all:
        echo Something is '$(SOMETHING)'

C:\artimi.src\artimi\chips\earn\doc>nmake /f makefile.nmake

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 8.00.50727.42

        echo Something is 'foo bar'
Something is foo bar

C:\artimi.src\artimi>
/artimi $ make -f makefile.nmake