Re: Preventing variables from being passed to a sub-make

From: Will Newton
Subject: Re: Preventing variables from being passed to a sub-make
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 13:53:35 +0100

On 6/7/07, Paul Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 17:29 +0100, Will Newton wrote:

> I'm having problems stopping make from passing variables passed on the
> command line to a sub-make.

I think it's very, very unwise to break this capability, personally.  I
would rather change your top-level makefile to use some different
variable that won't interfere with submakefiles (or vice versa).

Perhaps. But in this case I am trying to build a system from a number
of component parts taken from third parties. Does that mean before
writing my top-level makefile I have to audit all these third party
components for any variable that may clash? That doesn't seem very
scaleable.