RE: One error to run gnumake

From: Paul Smith
Subject: RE: One error to run gnumake
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 09:31:24 -0400

On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 01:39 +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
> On 11 June 2007 06:08, Yikai Cao wrote:
>
> > Hi:
> >
> >    I got the following errors when running "gnumake place":
> >
> >      # Command:
> >      /bin/sh: syntax error at line 1: 'end of file' unexpected
> >      gnumake:  *** [place]  Error 2
> >
> >    Could you give me a clue what caused this problem?
>
> Looks like your makefile ended unexpectedly.

No; this error is being returned from the shell, not from make.

The line that make prints: "# Command:", is the script that make is
passing to the shell.  Obviously your shell doesn't like that as its
sole operation.

However, you don't give us nearly enough information to help you.  You
didn't tell us what operating system/version you're using, what version
of GNU make you're using, and you didn't show us the make rule that
caused this to be printed.

My suspicion is that you wanted to use a make comment line but you
indented it with a TAB, which means to make that this is part of the
command script; instead of:

        place:
                # Command:
                do something