$(foo) vs $(call foo)

From: Stephan Beal
Subject: $(foo) vs $(call foo)
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 13:19:46 +0200

Hello, Makers!

i've got a question which i think i know the answer to, but would like
to get confirmation on it.

Let's say i have a macro:

  define my-macro
    df
  endef

The content of the macro is not (yet) significant for my question, which
is:

is there a semantic difference between:

  foo:
      $(my-macro)

and:

  foo:
      $(call my-macro)

i understand that the $(call) is not necessary because i'm not passing
any arguments, and that $(call) is necessary if i'm going to pass
arguments. The question is, then: is there a real difference between
$(my-macro) and $(call my-macro) if my-macro is not defined to use
positional arguments (i.e. $(1) ... $(N))?

Many thanks in advance,

PS: i "think" the correct answer is, "there is no difference," but i'm
willing to accept that there may be a subtle difference when other make
variables/functions live inside the macro code.

--
----- stephan beal
http://www.wanderinghorse.net