Re: Antw: Re: Make3.81 for HP-UX 10.20

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Antw: Re: Make3.81 for HP-UX 10.20
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 01:07:58 -0400

Please keep the mailing lists CC'd on any email rather than sending it
to me directly.  Thanks.

On Thu, 2007-06-28 at 08:16 +0200, Dirk Emmermacher wrote:

> Thanks for your link.
> I downloaded the make-3.81.tar.gz file.
> The make stops with following message:
>
> (Bundled) cc: warning 480: The -g option is available only with the
> C/ANSI C pro
> duct; ignored.
>
> (Bundled) cc: "misc.c", line 196: error 1000: Unexpected symbol:
> "va_dcl".
> (Bundled) cc: "misc.c", line 232: error 1000: Unexpected symbol:
> "va_dcl".
> (Bundled) cc: "misc.c", line 265: error 1000: Unexpected symbol:
> "va_dcl".

It looks like you don't have a powerful-enough C compiler to compile GNU
make.  I'm not familiar with the native HPUX compiler so I can't say for
sure, but it looks like they provide a minimal compiler standard, and if
you want a more capable one presumably you have to purchase it
separately.

Probably if you searched with Google you could find a place to download
pre-built versions of GNU make and even GCC, the GNU project's compiler
which is quite capable.

I thought that GNU make 3.81 would build properly even with a very old C
compiler like this, but it's been harder and harder to test.  You might
try building one of the older versions of GNU make and see if that works
for you.