Re: $(if-eq ...)

From: Stephan Beal
Subject: Re: $(if-eq ...)
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 00:10:05 +0200

On Saturday 30 June 2007, Philip Guenther wrote:
> The closest alternative I can think of is to instead pass the names
> of variables to be evaluated for the 'then' and 'else' clauses:
>
> mythen = $(warning this should happen)
> myelse = $(warning this should not happen)
> $(call if-eq-vars,abc,abc,mythen,myelse)

i thought about that, but the general problem is that i don't ALWAYS
want to $(eval) the result. Sometimes i want to use it as-is. e.g., a
rather contrived example would be the equivalent of:

$(if abc,$(eval ...),$(error ...))

But that requires/relies on short-circuit expansion, which of course is
only available to builtins. Fair enough.

> That's not hard to implement:
> ...but it's clunky to use, eliminating most the point of the
> function.

i agree.

Oh, well.

Maybe we can get an $(if-eq LHS,RHS,THEN[,ELSE]) in 3.82? :) :) :)

(hint, hint, wink, wink)

--
----- stephan beal
http://www.wanderinghorse.net