Re: missing separator

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: missing separator
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 20:03:40 -0400

On Sun, 2007-08-05 at 17:12 -0500, David A. Greene wrote:
> I've got a series of nested calls that generate bits of makefile (rules,
> variable assignments, etc.).  One of the calls is producing a "missing
> separator" error but of course the call itself looks just fine.  I assume
> the problem is with one of the nested calls or in some of the generated
> makefile content.  Is there any good way to trace what is going on and try to
> track down the problem?  I've tried writing simplified testcases with no luck
> reproducing the problem.

This can get pretty tricky, no doubt.

The simplest answer is to replace your $(eval ...) functions with
$(info ...) functions, at strategic places.  Then make will print out
EXACTLY what it would expand as the argument to call.  You can do
similar things with $(call ...) if you like.

For deep nesting this can get tricky.

Another option is to use the GNU make debugger; I've not used it much
myself and I'm not sure what version of GNU make is currently supported,
but you can find out more here:

http://bashdb.sourceforge.net/remake/

There's also a make debugger which is really just a suite of make
functions, rather than a separate program like remake; you can learn
more about that here:

http://gmd.sourceforge.net/