using make to run binaries

From: andreas
Subject: using make to run binaries
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 15:36:12 +0200

We have got a problem using 'make' to start binaries: we use 'make' not
only for compilation but also for testing our compiled binaries on input
data like this:
# make output.data
to create a line like this:
# /path/to/binary -i input.data [more args] > output.data

The problem is that output.data differs from the output obtained by the
very same command line when run manually. So the binary is the same, the
command line args are the same, too. What could be the problem? I also
already tried environment variables, but they are the same, too.
We use g++ and templated C++ code under Linux, the output is XML format, the
input
tabular data. make version is 3.81.

Thanks, Andreas