RE: Regd : error 24

From: Paul Smith
Subject: RE: Regd : error 24
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 19:29:37 -0400

On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 21:28 +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
> On 17 September 2007 07:11, srikumar wrote:
> >   I'm invoking a tool using gmake. The tool does get invoked and everything
> > goes fine till the exit. On exiting, i get this error.
> >
> > make : *** [log/a.log] Error 24

> ~ $ grep 24 /usr/include/sys/errno.h
> #define EMFILE 24       /* Too many open files */

It might be this, but it might not be.

That error message from GNU make means this:

        "I was trying to build your target log/a.log, and the program I
        invoked that you said would build that target exited with a
        non-0 exit code.  I consider anything other than a 0 exit code
        to be an error, so I reported this and stopped running, and the
        exit code I got back from whatever program it was that I
        invoked, was 24".

So, you have to find the program that make invoked, then look at the
documentation for THAT program to find out what it means if it exited
with a code of 24.

It might be an errno value, as Dave suggests.

Or it might be something completely different (actually, most UNIX
utilities and programs DO NOT use the errno value as their exit code,
but you never know!)

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.mad-scientist.us