Re: Finding Circular Dependencies

From: Alexander Kriegisch
Subject: Re: Finding Circular Dependencies
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:18:39 +0100

> Instead of using Perl, how about adding code to Make itself to output
> the data required for visualization by dotty?

I neither speak Perl nor C sufficiently well, so I cannot do that.
Visualising dependencies or at least dumping chains of dependencies as
text or XML files is something I have missed in make or remake for a
long time. Remake can display dependencies in debug mode, but not
recursively. As Make builds and maintains a dependency graph in
internally while parsing makefiles, dumping dependency information in a
structured way dynamically during a build - some things are only clear
during the build, because variables must be expanded etc. - would be a
feature best kept and maintained within GNU Make itself. I would be
looking forward to any approaches in that direction. :-)
--
Alexander Kriegisch
Certified ScrumMaster