Re: make file

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: make file
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 09:17:08 -0500

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 11:56 +0530, manimekalai wrote:
> hi i am using linux platform. i have tried to install the software...
> for that i need make command not make-file.
> in mu usr/bin/ folder there is no make command(i am get make command
> not found). i have to run.. where i have to download? how to get make
> command?

The correct answer to this question depends on which version of
GNU/Linux you are using.  Red Hat?  Ubuntu?  Debian?  SuSE?  Something
else?

All these distributions will have a package for GNU make, that you can
install using their package management tools.  You will likely need
other tools as well: if you don't have make you most likely don't have a
compiler either for example.

This is really a distro-specific question and the answer is best found
on a distro-specific forum or mailing list.

If you really want to obtain and build it yourself (assuming you have a
compiler) then you can do so; there are some pointers to the download
site, build instructions, etc. below.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.mad-scientist.us