Re: Automatic prerequisites Vs targets

From: Philip Guenther
Subject: Re: Automatic prerequisites Vs targets
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 21:37:19 -0600

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 8:50 PM, nidujay <address@hidden> wrote:
> I use the technique described in section 4.14 to automatically
> generate pre-requisites. At the end of the Makefile I include the
> dependencies as:
> One thing I noticed is that the dependency files are generated even
> when the target doesn't require them (e.g. make clean).
>
> Is this expected behaviour or have I made a mistake somewhere?

That's the expected behavior of that design for auto-dependencies.  A
better design that doesn't have that problem or several others can be
found at
        http://make.paulandlesley.org/autodep.html

> I'm using the following version of gnu Make:
>
> GNU Make version 3.78.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
> Built for Windows32

That's several years out of date now.  The UNIX version is 3.81 and I
believe the Windows versions now builds from the same source...

Philip Guenther