force make to rebuild failed targets without stopping

From: Roman Grachev
Subject: force make to rebuild failed targets without stopping
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 15:46:27 +0400

Hi,

I am using GNU Make as a batch job scheduling system. I run Make with '-j' and
'-k' option to run several long-running tasks in parallel. When one of the task
fails I get an e-mail describing what went wrong. Then when I fix the problem,
I want to continue that task without interrupting the others. I have two
choices:

1. To kill and restart Make, which means all the other running tasks get killed
and restarted

2. To wait until other tasks finish and then restart make, but that means that
the total running time for the whole job increases

What I really want is to be able to send for example USR2 signal to Make and it
will try rebuilding all the tasks that failed without interrupting other tasks.
I am in the middle of figuring out how Make works by reading the source code.

I would really appreciate it if any of the GNU Make experts give me a general
design advice on where in Make it is best to integrate this functionality.

Thanks in advance,

Roman Grachev