working around "execvp: echo: Argument list too long"?

From: Matthias Wenzel
Subject: working around "execvp: echo: Argument list too long"?
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:03:25 +0200

hi list,

below's a small makefile which probably results in a
"make: execvp: echo: Argument list too long"

my problem is I have a large list in a make-variable. I want to process
each element of that list (individually). But any attempt with
shell-loops ends up in the same error, and GNU-make-wise I am not
getting there.

Note that I don't need to echo the variable all in one go, but instead
do something with each element. However I am lacking the propper syntax.

Matthias

---snip---
include largefile.mak

all:
       @echo $(LARGE_VAR)

largefile.mak:
       for i in `seq 10000` ; do \
         echo "LARGE_VAR+=some_value_$$i" >> largefile.mak ; \
       done

---snap---