Re: progress bar

From: Stephan Beal
Subject: Re: progress bar
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:15:14 +0200

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 5:51 AM, kalyan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi list,
> I have been looking for a way to show to the user the status of the
> compilation (like 40% complete) in my build system.
> I know its tricky
> (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-make/2006-09/msg00026.html) but has
> anyone made a progress on the lines of "make -n" or something else?

Not *quite* what you're looking for, but i've attached some C code i
found somewhere (the Linux kernel, i think) which acts as a front-end
for gcc and shows much less information about compilation. Instead of
seeing "gcc .... thousand args ..." you see "[CC] filename", and
similar for linking. Just compile this with:

gcc ccdv.c

and replace your CC, CXX, AR make vars like this:

CC := /path/to/ccdv $(CC)
CXX := /path/to/ccdv $(CXX)

Of course. it's only useful when gcc is being used, and not for non-C/C++ trees.

(i hope the list accepts attachments - if not, email me off-list and
i'll send it to you.)
--
----- stephan beal
http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/