Re: whitespace in filenames

From: Stephan Beal
Subject: Re: whitespace in filenames
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 23:44:02 +0200

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 11:28 PM, Brian Dessent <address@hidden> wrote:
> The quote characters are not special to make, and there's no way to tell
> it that you really meant one word not two.  I really can't think of a
> way around this.

Maybe make needs $(quote list of words). Even if it's not useful in
the above context (it probably wouldn't be, because the
above-mentioned deep embediment of spaces in Make, it might still be
useful in the context of rules:

foo:
    command --arg1=$(quote $(SOME_VAL_WITH_SPACES)) --arg2 --arg3

--
----- stephan beal
http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/