Question on wildcard support in conditionals (ifeq, ifneq, etc)?

From: Randy Kao
Subject: Question on wildcard support in conditionals (ifeq, ifneq, etc)?
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 16:15:44 -0700

Hi All,

I apologize ahead of time if this seems like a trivial question but I've been researching for days and haven't found an easy way to do the following.

You have a variable named TARGET which has been set to either apple_pie or apple_turnover.

In some Makefile somewhere you want to check to see if it is apple* (either apple_pie, apple_turnover, apple_whatever).

How would one go about doing this?

The below case does not work. I even tried using the wildcard function with no results.

ifeq ($(TARGET), apple*)
endif

Any feedback / insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Randy