Feature idea: required version flag

From: Stephan Beal
Subject: Feature idea: required version flag
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 14:46:32 +0100

Hi, all!

i know we've discussed the topic of "how to check if the user is
running Make version XYZ or higher" before, but i just had another
idea for helping to solve this...

Consider this common makefile header:
#!/usr/bin/make -f
# Requires GNU Make 3.80+!
default: all

What if we could replace the first line with:

#!/usr/bin/make -R=3.80 -f

(i picked -R off the top of my head (for "Required version") - maybe
-R is already in use)

In this invokation, make would refuse to run if its version is less
than 3.80. If its an older make, it would probably puke on the unknown
-R flag and die anyway, so we're protected either way.

:-?

--
----- stephan beal
http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/