Re: Using define to generate dynamic install targets

From: Garrett Cooper
Subject: Re: Using define to generate dynamic install targets
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 14:36:24 -0700

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Philip Guenther<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 12:24 PM, Garrett Cooper<address@hidden> wrote:
>>    I'm working revising the Makefiles for LTP and I am running into a
>> bit of a technical snaggle. When I'm trying to define a generic eval
>> target, like so (lines 69-75):
>
> What problem(s) with the current Makefiles are driving you to make this
> change?

There are currently 784 Makefiles in the source tree.

1. They are all written up in a hodgepodge manner and need to conform
to a general standard. The easiest way to accomplish this is to use
variables and canned defines to simplify life. Static rules are a
potential option, but I haven't gotten that desperate yet...
2. The Makefiles, either in the previously patched version or the
current branched version I'm working on, don't support out-of-tree
build support. We need this for my group in Cisco in order to build
multiple architectures/platforms with the same sourcebase, as we
shouldn't be maintaining the cross-compiler required changes in-house
as we have limited resources and the rest of the LTP community can't
benefit from the changes.

Hope that helps explain the issues that we face, and the problems
we're trying to solve... a slightly more terse explanation can be
found here:

http://ltp.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ltp/ltp/README.mk-devel?revision=1.1.2.3&view=markup&pathrev=makefile_infra_rework

Thanks!
-Garrett