Re: default number of JOBS

From: John Breitenbach
Subject: Re: default number of JOBS
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 11:02:54 -0400

David Boyce wrote:
Just to continue a little farther - I'm sure there are many legitimate
special circumstances. You, for instance, may have a dedicated server
on which you've determined the magic number to be 6. You may know that
you own all the cycles on this machine and that your application or
build can only run there. So there's nothing wrong with wanting to
hard wire defaults in such circumstances, but these would be
exceptional cases and unlikely to be directly supported by GNU make.

BTW, I believe you could export MAKEFLAGS="-j 6" (put it in .profile
or whatever) and get the effect you want.

It's interesting that GNU make doesn't support a .makerc file in the
traditional way. I'm sure there's a long history of discussion and
debate on that topic but I'm not familiar with it.

David Boyce
David,
 Thanks for your thoughts on this.  To clarify my situation...

I have a package manager which fires up make for a potentially large number of packages.
(it has is own -j flag to specify the number  parallel packages)
And these packages/units/subsystems, have a wide variety of histories. And some are known to not be parallel-safe. I'm exploring methods for placing that "parallel-safeness" in each package. Adding something it each packages's toplevel Makefile seemed like a convenient place - hence the original question to see if there was a way to do this list. And fortunately I have other option.

John