Re: a few basic doubts

From: Payal
Subject: Re: a few basic doubts
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 06:03:04 -0700

Thanks Sam & Paul for the efforts. Reply is inline.

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 08:44:13AM -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
> > 2) What is the difference in wildcard "%" & "*"?
>
> Not sure what you mean: in the $(wildcard ...) function?  "%" has no
> special meaning to $(wildcard ...).  That function uses the standard
> UNIX glob expressions (see "man 7 glob" for example).

No I mean when to use % and when to use *? I am confused cos'
obj = *.c
obj = $(wildcard *.c)
But in $(patsub ...) or vpath, "%" is used.

> > 3) How do I define a variable whose value are files abc, "cde xyz" & lmn?
>
> I assume you're really asking here, how to handle filenames containing
> whitespace in make.  The short answer is, you cannot do this reliably.

But I cannot control whether filenames can have spaces or not especially
when they are from non-Unix world. e.g.

obj = *.xls *.doc ...
backup.tar: $(obj)
        @tar -avf ...

Here if one file is by name "my new presentation.ppt", how do i put this
filename in "obj"?

Thanks once again.

With warm regards,
-Payal