Re: libtool/make and sysroot

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: libtool/make and sysroot
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 13:58:17 -0400

On Sun, 2010-03-21 at 13:30 -0400, Ersin Akinci wrote:
> So what seems to be happening is that make runs ../libtool, which
> happens right before the line where gcc chokes, and somewhere between
> then and when the build tries to link against my system libraries,
> direct_csource_LDADD somehow turns from "-lpng12" to
> "/usr/lib/libpng12.so", and then that pattern gets concatenated to the
> end of the compile line.

This is a libtool issue.  I don't like passing the buck, but libtool is
something I try hard to avoid wherever possible so I won't be much help.

It's not clear from your paragraph above whether you understand
libtool's role: libtool is a wrapper that tries to hide the technical
details of creating and linking against shared libraries across a wide
variety of systems (unfortunately not all systems are as straightforward
in this respect as, say, GNU/Linux).  Instead of calling a linker, you
invoke libtool with some libtool options plus the standard link line you
want to invoke, and libtool massages it all up for you and runs the real
commandline you need for whatever system you're on.

So, in short, make is running libtool with the arguments you see in the
makefile, and libtool is running the linker with the arguments you see
printed out.  Somewhere between what make is passing to libtool and what
libtool is running, this expansion is happening... so this is a libtool
issue.

I have to say that I've NEVER had any kind of good experience with
libtool and cross-compilation or encapsulated build environments, etc.
It's simply not designed with these (common, IMO) configurations in
mind.  I should be clear that I gave up on libtool a number of years ago
so maybe it's improved since then; I wouldn't know.