Re: simple pattern rules

From: Stephan Beal
Subject: Re: simple pattern rules
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 23:09:03 +0200

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 11:01 PM, Paul Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
It can't be all that common, since I've never seen it before :-)

Fair enough - i've seen it a lot, but you've obviously got thousands of times my experience with Make.

Personally I'm very picky about what files are executable and I would
never want a makefile to be executable--so the #! doesn't do much
(besides which it hardcodes the path to make--often I want to use a
different make than the one in /usr/bin).

The intent isn't to make it executable, but to provide a hint to emacs so that it goes into makefile-mode. Just as often i use "#!/do/not/make" (or "#!/do/not/bash" for certain shell scripts), which pleases emacs just as much and keeps the file from being inadvertently executed.

Note there is a slight change in behavior though: in this one if there's
nothing to do make prints "nothing to be done for 'default'" whereas the
"original" prints "nothing to be done for 'all'".

This may be a distinction without a difference, of course :-).

True on both accounts.

:-D

--
----- stephan beal