creating text files with make?

From: Martin Mensch
Subject: creating text files with make?
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 10:55:54 +0200

Hello,

I think about a special job to be done by computer and would like to find out if it can be done by make. So I want to ask if the following things are possible somehow and if yes how to do it:
First what I want to do:
I want to create a textfile or maybe two or three. The contents of those is to be taken from a number of other files while their contents my be changed where there are placeholders, copied several times or partly ommitted. All this is to be controlled by a config file.
Til now I know how to include this config file (with include) and how to create and write to an output file (echo >> filename)
But how do I
- take in the contents of a file named by the config file
- go through this file, change placeholders controled by the config file
- copy parts several times controled by the config file
- leave out parts controled by the config file
- and put the result into an echo command?

Is it possible at all?
Are there examples somewhere to get inspired?

Thank you for any help

Martin