Re: make - library files, archives

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: make - library files, archives
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:07:53 -0400

On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 17:39 +0200, Stephan Beal wrote:
>         Can I skip those
>         topics since I am not a C coder?
>
> Absolutely.

You can skip those topics even if you ARE a C coder.  These days, when
disks providing 100's of gigabytes of storage are the norm, the benefits
gained by the special archive handling features of make are far less
important than they once were.  There's still a slight performance
improvement to be gained but unless you have truly massive archive
libraries you won't notice it.

And, there are real disadvantages such as not being able to properly
support parallel builds (although this can be overcome, I believe, with
sufficient trickery).