Prerequisites to the build process.

From: couling
Subject: Prerequisites to the build process.
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 12:19:03 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All

I was wondering if there is a way indicate a prerequisite to the build
process.
What I mean is this:

foo: foo.source | bar
        bar foo.source

bar:
        command to build bar

I would to be able to specify that bar will only needs to be built if foo
needs to be built.  If foo exists but bar doesn't then this prerequisite
will be ignored.  The reason for this is that bar is only a tool to make
foo, and if foo exists bar has no use.

Of course I can do this by creating a shell script instead of using
dependencies but this gets messy and has big potential to break in
multi-threaded builds.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time.