Re: Question regarding multiple implicit targets

From: Bluswedshooz
Subject: Re: Question regarding multiple implicit targets
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 12:45:24 +0200

Yes, that's exactly what I want.

I've tried the solution using eval to produce one-line rules. Problem is, they are on one line (which prevents having different prefixes ('@','-','!',...) on different commands in the recipe) . I found something on gnu make manual (section 8.8) that should (but doesn't) work.

define OBJ_template =
$$(OBJDIR)/%.o: $(1)/%.cpp
@$$(MKDIR) -p $$(dir $$@)
echo "$$(BYELL)+dep+ $$(BBLUE)address@hidden(NOCOLOR)"
$$(CPP) $$(CCFLAGS) $$(INC) $$(DEFS) -o $$@ $$<
endef
$(foreach SRCDIR,$(SRCDIRS),$(eval $(call OBJ_template,$(SRCDIR))))

This leads to "no rule to make target <whatever>". I've tried the example given in the make manual:

PROGRAMS    = server client
server_OBJS = server.o server_priv.o server_access.o
server_LIBS = priv protocol
client_OBJS = client.o client_api.o client_mem.o
client_LIBS = protocol

# Everything after this is generic

.PHONY: all
all: $(PROGRAMS)

define PROGRAM_template =
$(1): $$($(1)_OBJS) $$($(1)_LIBS:%=-l%)
ALL_OBJS   += $$($(1)_OBJS)
endef

$(foreach prog,$(PROGRAMS),$(eval $(call PROGRAM_template,$(prog))))

$(PROGRAMS):
@echo l $@ from $^

%.o:
@echo cc $@

clean:
@echo rm $(ALL_OBJS) $(PROGRAMS)

But this doesn't work either.  It should output:

l server from server.o server_priv.o server_access.o
l client from client.o client_api.o client_mem.o

But instead I get:

l server from
l client from

Why is that happening ? I can't figure out I've also tried:

all: target1 target0

example = target0: $(1)

define exampleLine =
target1: $(1)
@echo $$@ depends on $$^
endef

$(eval $(call example,FooBar0))

$(eval $(call exampleLine,FooBar1))

target0:
@echo $@ depends on $^

target1:
@echo $@ depends on $^

which gives:

target1 depends on
cc FooBar0.o
cc   FooBar0.o   -o FooBar0
cc: FooBar0.o: No such file or directory
cc: no input files
make: *** [FooBar0] Error 1

I feel there seems to be a problem with multi-line variables, or with me ?

Which is which ?

Thanks,
Floof

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 7:43 AM, Todd Showalter <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 6:38 AM, FloofLeBo <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am currently writing a Makefile which should work in several projects with
> minimal edits.
>
> What I want is that within the Makefile of particular project we find:
>

> SRC_DIRS  := Src0 Src1
> CPP_FILES := $(foreach SRC_DIR,$(SRC_DIRS),$(shell find $(SRC_DIR) -name
> "*.cpp"))
>

> And then a set of implicit rules generated by a foreach command:
>

> $(foreach, SRC_DIR,$(SRC_DIRS),\
> $(OBJDIR)/%.o : $(SRC_DIR)/%.cpp\
>        ${Q}${CPP} -o $@ $^\
> )

   Are you sure that's what you want?  It means that any code sitting
in that directory is implicitly a live part of the project and
therefore must compile and neither break nor conflict with anything.
Personally, I've found it better to have (in each code directory) a
file containing a list of the valid source files in that directory.
You can then grab those and stitch them together into a master build
list fairly easily.

   One advantage of the list is that it makes things play much more
nicely with version control; the list can be version controlled too,
and it means source files don't have to be moved around to change the
active sources in the build.  It's just a matter of commenting out the
files you don't want in the list.

   For extra points, one can institute per-architecture lists to do
platform-specific builds.

                                                   Todd.

--
 Todd Showalter, President,