Re: some questions about GNU make

From: ali hagigat
Subject: Re: some questions about GNU make
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 16:32:59 +0430

To this end, after reading in all makefiles, make will consider each as
a goal target and
attempt to update it. If a makefile has a rule which says how to update
it (found either
in that very makefile or in another one) or if an implicit rule applies
to it (see Chapter 10
[Using Implicit Rules], page 101), it will be updated if necessary.
After all makefiles have
Sam,

Thank you to reply. But I did not understand what the manual says!! I
copied the lines again.

It says: " make will consider each as a goal target.."
Will consider what? Each makefile? as far as I know a makefile tries
to update a default goal file by running its commands. Where is the
commands and rules for these makefiles? What does "updating a
makefile" mean? How it is related to RCS and SCCS files?

"If a makefile has a rule which says how to update it (found either in
that very makefile)..."

Can a makefile update itself by its own rule? Can you write a simple
makefile to do it? I am looking for an example for the following
section of GNU make manual:

3.7 How Makefiles Are Remade

It has been written very ambiguous and it is not clear.