Re: Converting Microsoft from nmake to GNU make

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Converting Microsoft from nmake to GNU make
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 18:08:28 -0400

This is a very useful table, thanks.  I've never used Windows nmake so I
have no direct comments, but there are a few things to consider.  For
example, you might verify that nmake and GNU make agree about the
difference between variables that are never defined, and ones that are
defined to have the empty string as a value.  Also, some compilations of
make are case-insensitive in which case I think the $(wildcard) function
matches in a case-insensitive manner.

Windows-knowledgeable people hang out there.

On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 17:55 +0100, Anjum Naseer wrote:
> 1. Logical operations on !IF, e.g.:
>
> !IF DEFINED(xyz) && ("a" == "b") || ("c" == "d")

There is no straightforward analog to this.  Depending on your exact
requirements you can play some tricks with $(filter ...) etc. but in
order to write the exact equivalent of the above statement would require
multiple statements in GNU make.

> 2. Repeating a command for every dependency of a target, e.g.:
>
> fred: a.adl b.adl c.adl
>    !nmake buildall MODULE=$** BUILDADL.MAK

I don't know what this means.  What happens in this situation?