Re: $(error ...) in command.

From: Philip Guenther
Subject: Re: $(error ...) in command.
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 11:19:18 -0700

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 1:53 AM, Oleksandr Gavenko <address@hidden> wrote:
> I think this must be true:
>
> 1) target recipes expanded only when target executed and all before any
> shell command execution

Info pages section "How `make' Reads a Makefile".

> 2) if in variable/function expansion happen $(error ...) then make stops

Info pages section "Functions That Control Make".

> I read manual and don't find explicit description about this.

Since the latter is stated IN THE VERY DESCRIPTION OF THE $(error)
FUNCTION, I don't understand what you consider explicit.
---
`$(error TEXT...)'
     Generates a fatal error where the message is TEXT.  Note that the
     error is generated whenever this function is evaluated.  So, if
     you put it inside a command script or on the right side of a
     recursive variable assignment, it won't be evaluated until later.
---

Philip Guenther