.LOW_RESOLUTION_TIME

From: ali hagigat
Subject: .LOW_RESOLUTION_TIME
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 14:26:40 +0330

I copied some lines of the manual, page 33:
.LOW_RESOLUTION_TIME: dst
dst: src
cp -p src dst

Since ‘cp -p’ discards the subsecond part of ‘src’’s time stamp, ‘dst’
is typically slightly older than ‘src’ even when it is up to date.
The .LOW_RESOLUTION_TIME line causes make to consider ‘dst’ to be up
to date if its time stamp is at
the start of the same second that ‘src’’s time stamp is in.
When we used -p , it means preserve time-stamp, so how ‘dst’ is
typically slightly older than ‘src’ ? The time-stamp of both files are
exactly the same!!
And concerning the last statement:
if the time stamp of 'dst' is at the start of the same second that
‘src’’s time stamp is in, so the both time-stamps are the same and
'dst' is up-to-date, why we need  .LOW_RESOLUTION_TIME to say that
'dst' is up-to-date?
Without using .LOW_RESOLUTION_TIME, the time stamp of both files seems
to be the same and 'dst' seems up-to-date already.