Re: Ordering targets as arguments

From: Iwan Aucamp
Subject: Re: Ordering targets as arguments
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 01:10:42 +0200

On 11/14/2010 12:58 AM, Erik Rull wrote:
Hi all,

how can I force make to "sort" targets that were given as arguments?

e.g. I want to type at prompt
make object obj=test copy_object
What should happen:
object gets executed and afterwards copy_object gets executed

Well yes - I could write a rule like
copy_object: object
    [....]

In general prerequisites are the way to achieve this with make

But this would mean that object gets executed also if I did not give it as an argument to the make command.

This can be done by using finer grained prerequisites, e.g.:

object: my_file.o

copy_object: my_file.o

this would ensure that whatever copy_object needs will be there - and similarly that whatever object needs is there.

I don't need a general handling of the sequence of the arguments only for this special rule I want to have it executed after all other rules (also with -j - not parallelized with the other stuff.

Any ideas?