Re: make-ing error (making maui-3.3 in FreeBSD 8.0)

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: make-ing error (making maui-3.3 in FreeBSD 8.0)
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 15:44:20 -0500

On Sat, 2010-11-13 at 07:12 +0330, ali hagigat wrote:
> 'missing separator' means you did not type <tab> character at the
> beginning of that line of your makefile.

I already replied to Saeed a few days ago, but I just wanted to point
out that this is not always true.

"Missing separator" is make's generic "syntax error" message.  It means
that make couldn't understand that line of the makefile at all.

It might be that you forgot the TAB character, and thus make is trying
to interpret what should be a shell command as a make command.

Or it might be that you meant to write a variable assignment but didn't
use the "=".  Or that you meant to write a target definition but didn't
use the ":".  Etc.