Make eating all @ at the beginning of command line

From: Krzysztof Cieniuch
Subject: Make eating all @ at the beginning of command line
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 12:25:30 +0000

Hi,
make is eating all @ characters when silencing command line
e.g.
foo: bar
   @echo "do foo"
   @@echo "do foo"
   @@@echo "do foo"
   touch foo

It doesn't matter how many @ you put up front. In above example all echo commands will be passed to shell without preceding @. Is this a bug or feature ;-) (NB Stumble upon this when using my on wrapshell instead of shell and I had to pass @ at the beginning of command line so I used @@ and
to my surprise make eat all @ signs :-))) )

This is not a big deal I'm using * instead but I felt that you may wanted to know about this.

Thanks
Chris