Re: Named parameters in make?

From: grischka
Subject: Re: Named parameters in make?
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 01:33:42 +0200

Over my time using make I know I've read section 8.8 "The eval Function" a
number of times. But the implication of this sentence didn't hit me until I
saw your example:

"The argument to the eval function is expanded, then the results of that
expansion are parsed as makefile syntax."

Reason why eval is difficult to understand is that there is no good
reason to have it, in the first place.

For example one can write:

   all_rule = all : ; echo $$@
   $(all_rule)

which expands the macro $(all_rule) and does parse the result as
makefile syntax.  That is everything said in the above statement,
just without 'eval'.

--- grischka