RE: updating target at the end of recipe, after updating prerequisites,

From: Mark Galeck (CW)
Subject: RE: updating target at the end of recipe, after updating prerequisites, might not work?
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 19:50:16 -0800

OK.  So sometimes the modify timestamps are rounded to the nearest second and
sometimes don't.

Then this causes problems for makefiles...  Because if you are updating
prerequisites of a target with a non-rounding utility, and then updating the
target with a rounding utility, and all of that updating takes only a small
fraction of a second, then very often the timestamp of the target will end up
rounded down, and will be "older" than the timestamps of it's prerequisites.

That means, on the next rebuild, which should otherwise not update anything,
you may end up rebuilding the target again.

How do make gurus deal with this problem Paul?

I see that "make" uses the "modify" timestamps for comparisons between target
and prerequisites.

For me, echo foo > xyz does not _always_ set modify timestamp for xyz to
sub-second resolution.  In some directories, it does, but where I care, it does
not.  Must be mounted filesystem-dependency.

I was thinking  to do

echo "" >> foobar

when needed, but with this not working, how would you do it?

Thank you,

Mark