infer targets from dependencies

From: Sébastien Barthélémy
Subject: infer targets from dependencies
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 12:28:27 +0100

Hello all,

for a documentation project, I'd like to convert any svg picture into a pdf.

So I'd like to tell make "for every %.png in the project, build a
%.pdf using the following command".

That is, it should automatically create a target when it sees a file
ending with .svg.

I have found no place in the documentation suggesting it is possible.
Can you confirm me this usage is unsupported?

In such a case, I have two options left: either list my images files
manually or grep them out of the document source.
Any better way?

Cheers

-- Sébastien