RE: backslash does not simply continue line?

From: Paul Smith
Subject: RE: backslash does not simply continue line?
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2012 02:10:04 -0500

On Sat, 2012-03-03 at 09:06 -0800, Mark Galeck (CW) wrote:
> Well, OK, basically this means for me, I can't really break some lines
> and have to keep them long (or I would have to put an additional
> $(strip) calls)

strip won't help.  It reduces multiple whitespace characters to one
space, but it won't remove ALL whitespace characters.

Yes, you have to be very careful where you break lines in your makefile,
paying attention to this behavior.  I checked and this wasn't clearly
defined in the GNU make manual before: I've added a new section to make
it more clear.

> Well, to me, this is already broken to begin with :)  The person who
> writes code like this should find some other occupation.

That's one way to look at it.  Another way is that they know what the
standard guarantees in terms of make behavior and they're writing their
makefile to adhere to the standard.  Hard to argue with that.