Windows specific question - most convenient solution to set vars

From: AngusC
Subject: Windows specific question - most convenient solution to set vars
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 07:49:57 -0800 (PST)

I am running on Windows platform with MS VS2008 dev.  My makefile is as
follows:

ExePROD := mymain.exe

OBJECTS := main.obj myclass.obj

INCS := C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\INCLUDE

$(ExePROD) : $(OBJECTS)
        mslink /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE $(OBJECTS) /OUT:$(ExePROD)

main.obj : main.cpp
        cl -c -EHsc main.cpp

myclass.obj : myclass.h myclass.cpp
        cl -c -EHsc myclass.cpp

clean :
        rm $(ExePROD) $(OBJECTS)

I am getting error:
myclass.cpp(2) : fatal error C1034: iostream: no include path set

Which is because the INCLUDE path has not been set.  And myclass.cpp
includes the iostream header.

I can set this env var on my system but we are using a build system which
doesn't require this to be set as an env variable.  I am trying to work out
how this can be achieved?  How do others tackle this?

I want to eventually create a cross platform makefile so working out how to
handle different platforms is what I am looking to learn.

Angus