Re: help with implicit rules

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: help with implicit rules
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 10:39:15 -0500

On Tue, 2012-11-20 at 11:04 +0530, Kosala Atapattu wrote:
> I'm trying to write a implicit rule to convert a text page to a html using
> perl based wiki preprocessor... I got the perl part working but I can't
> seem to get Make to do the rest. I have the following make file.
>
> <Makefile>
>
> .SUFFIXES: .html .page
>
> %.html : %.page
>         echo $<
>         perl compile_page.pl -T template/main.tpl -o $@ $<
>
> </Makefile>
>
> What did I do wrong here.. according to the doc I should be able to do this
> rt?

It looks right to me.  You don't need the .SUFFIXES line when using
pattern rules but it shouldn't hurt either.

You haven't given any indication of what the problem is, though, so
that's about all I can say.  Try explaining what result you expected to
get, and what result you actually got (with as much cut-and-paste as is
reasonable).  Then we can help.