Re: I need help about make

From: Philip Guenther
Subject: Re: I need help about make
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 01:04:00 -0800

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 9:02 PM, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:
>         hi,I have a question that when I use a command "make -p",it will print
> a lot of default configuration,but I can't find the configuration file(I
> want to change it for some reasons).So I would appreciate it if you tell
> me where I can find the file or what's the file name.

The default variables and rules are compiled into the make binary, so
there is no file that you can edit to change them in the installed
package.

Changing the default rules locally would almost certainly be a Bad
Idea.  If you don't want the default rules, invoke make with the -R
option.  If you just want to alter them, then you should override them
in your Makefile(s). If you change the GNU make package that's
installed, then you've created an unexpected dependency on local
modification, and the make installed on the system can no longer be
simply upgraded with the OS as time passes.

Philip Guenther