Re: combining $(eval) with $(shell)

From: Jed Brown
Subject: Re: combining $(eval) with $(shell)
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 17:10:49 -0500

Adam Kellas <address@hidden> writes:

> Reinier's solution is elegant and I've got it working. Thanks.
>
> I don't suppose there's any way to suppress or hide the "vars.mk: No
> such file or directory" message?

From the user's manual:

  If an included makefile cannot be found in any of these directories, a
  warning message is generated, but it is not an immediately fatal
  error; processing of the makefile containing the include
  continues. Once it has finished reading makefiles, make will try to
  remake any that are out of date or don’t exist. See Section 3.5 [How
  Makefiles Are Remade], page 14.  Only after it has tried to find a way
  to remake a makefile and failed, will make diagnose the missing
  makefile as a fatal error.

  If you want make to simply ignore a makefile which does not exist or
  cannot be remade, with no error message, use the -include directive
  instead of include, like this:

    -include filenames ...

  This acts like include in every way except that there is no error (not
  even a warning) if any of the filenames (or any prerequisites of any
  of the filenames) do not exist or cannot be remade.

  For compatibility with some other make implementations, sinclude is
  another name for -include.